Monday, February 21, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!
~Dr. Seuss

Today I'm 27 and if you know anything about me you know I try my hardest to never celebrate my Birthday. No gifts, no parties, no discussion......

Yet this year I've been feeling like 27 will be good to me. I am going to be good to myself. We as people spend so much time allowing others to determine our happiness and I think it is time to stop, for me at least. 26 started off great for me but one issue consumed me and I let the the outcome of it control my happiness. I learned a lot from it and I learned a lot about myself. Life is too full of joy and wonderful things. I choose to laugh everyday and not sweat the small stuff. That may be hard but nothing worth really having is ever gotten without a little struggle. Should I have to struggle for my happiness, to really enjoy life, to really be myself. I don't know but that outcome is so much more important to me than anything else right now.

A friend once told me that I am an independent woman with a firecracker personality and I should never change for anyone. I really appreciated that and I choose to continue to describe myself that way. But to be happy I can not let my independence and attitude hinder that. We as women spend so much of our day thinking about what is wrong with our lives and ourselves that we don't really notice all the things we have going for ourselves. I may have this one thing that I've always wanted and I've never got it. It's that one thing that you feel once you get it, your life would be everything you want and need it to be. I don't know that, because if I am not content without it, why am I to think I will be content with it. Will I not want more......

So as I am so thankful that I get to turn a year older, I finally want to enjoy it as well. Every year I learn a little bit more about myself, the world and the people around me. I take the bad with the good, play up my strengths and remind myself that who I am is so much more important than what I have and what I do.

So in the end I realize that I can't continue to boycott my birthday, because I am not who I thought I would be and where I thought I would be at a certain age. So happy birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment